With the increasing need for distance learning and work from home set-ups, you need to train your employees or students regularly. Thankfully, you can continue training your employees and teach students by using a learning management system (LMS).
What’s A Learning Management System (LMS)?
A learning management system is a solution and a tool for enterprise learning. It’s a software-based platform that allows your organization to manage and track online training initiatives.
Learning tools, such as online training sessions and materials, are uploaded to the learning management system. You can make a schedule for the lessons and choose courses for each employee depending on the skill that you want to teach. In addition, you’ll also be able to see how your employees or students are doing through a central dashboard. Everything will be done online. This way, the LMS can be accessed remotely and monitored continuously, in real-time.
How Do You Choose A Good Learning Management System?
Here are some tips on how to choose a good learning management system.
Know Your Objectives
A good LMS software for your institution or organization will be the one that’ll help you to achieve your goals and objectives. So, you must set the goals and objectives you want to achieve via your learning management system. Before you set out looking for a learning management software, think about your expectations and needs.
Here are some guiding questions to help you figure out your goals and objectives:
- Who are you teaching?
- What are their learning objectives?
- Which skills are you hoping to hone or improve?
- What’s your end goal?
- Will you be training a team simultaneously or individually?
- What kind of content do you need? Is it audio, video, interactive, PowerPoint presentations, or PDF documents?
Having a clear idea of your goals and objectives will make it easier for you to find a learning management system that is perfect for your needs.
Watch Out for Essential Features
The tools that each LMS software has differs from one service provider to the next. So, you check must out all the features available in the LMS.
However, there are some standard features that you should look out for in the LMS. Here are a few of these features:
- Assessment and Testing Tools: These are tools that’ll help evaluate how your students or employees are performing. These tools can be in the form of tests or quizzes. The tools will help you gauge how much information is retained by the learners by studying the e-learning modules. This information will also help you assess the quality of the learning material and make changes if required.
- Real-Time Tracking and Reporting Feature: Another tool you need to look out for is a real-time tracking and reporting feature. This will allow you to see the profile of your students or employees and monitor their progress.
In one click, you’ll see how they did, how long their lessons took, which topics they tackled, and which areas they need to work on.
- Compatibility and Supported Devices: You also need to look at the compatibility of the system. Check if you need a desktop to access the system. It’s better if the system also supports mobile devices. This way, your employees or students can access the e-learning modules on the go as well.
- Course Catalog: Check the capacity of the LMS or the size of the lessons that you can offer on the system. On top of that, you can also check if you can customize the course catalog for each user because some learners may need different lessons. For example, some advanced learners may not need basic lessons on a topic.
Read Reviews and Evaluate
Evaluate the reviews and take a closer look at the reputation of the service provider. You can check out success stories from the clients using the LMS software. On top of that, you should also go to their website and browse through the descriptions and features. It’s a bonus if the vendor has received awards for the LMS software.
You also need to find out if the LMS provider is known for consistent and reliable tech support.
Try a Demo
Once you’ve shortlisted your top picks for LMS software, it’s time to try the system yourself. Before you purchase it, you can ask the provider for a trial to experience the system first-hand. It’s good if they can provide you a demo or a free trial of the LMS software you’re considering. This is the best way to gauge if the system will work for you.
Whether you’re running a corporation or an educational institution, a good learning management system will benefit you a lot. This is especially true in our increasingly digitalized world. Follow the tips above while searching and picking a good learning management system. Your employees or students can start training and learning confidently from the comforts of their homes.